Before Your Abortion
If you’re pregnant and considering abortion, your first step is a free pre-termination evaluation to answer these three essential questions:
- Is my pregnancy viable?
One in five pregnancies end before 7 weeks. ((National Institutes of Health (2014). Miscarriage. Retrieved from http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001488.htm; Wilcox AJ, Weinberg CR, O’Connor JF, Baird DD, Schlatterer JP, Canfield RD (1988). Incidence of early loss of pregnancy. N Engl J Med; 319:89-94.)) You may not need to have an abortion.
- How far along am I?
Your gestational age determines the cost and type of abortion that you could be eligible for.
- Do I have an STD?
Having any type of abortion with an untreated STD jeopardizes a woman’s health by increasing her risk of infection and other complications. ((Ovigstad E, et al. (1983). Pelvic inflammatory disease associated with Chlamydia trachomatis infection after therapeutic abortion. Br J Vener Dis, 59: 189-92; Heisterberg L, et al. (1987). The role of vaginal secretory immunoglobulin a, gardnerella vaginalis, anaerobes, and Chlamydia trachomatis in post abortal pelvic inflammatory disease. Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, 66(2): 99-102.))
Our free Pre-Termination Evaluation will help you make the pregnancy decision that’s right for you.
At Your Appointment
You will meet with a Nurse who will:
- Review the Reproductive Health Screening that you will be receiving, including pregnancy testing, ultrasound, and STD testing.
- Review your health history and answer your medical questions.
- Perform a clinical pregnancy test. If positive,
- Perform an ultrasound exam to confirm pregnancy and determine how far along you are.
- Review all of your pregnancy options, including abortion procedures, risks and side effects.
- Review your customized Personal Resource List and provide any necessary medical, insurance, and community support referrals.
- Schedule another appointment for you to receive your test results in one week.
All of CompassCare’s pregnancy services are completely free. CompassCare is a non-profit organization. We’ve intentionally structured our organization so we don’t make money on any pregnancy decision that you make. That means we can provide unbiased information without a financial conflict of interest. And we’ll do it in a caring, non-judgmental way.